Facility access - Charles Perkins Centre
The cytometry core has two laboratories: one at the Charles Perkins Centre, and one at the Centenary Institute. This page is for new, or existing users intending to use the Charles Perkins Centre (CPC) cytometry lab. For information regarding access to the Centenary Institute (CI) cytometry lab, please click here.
Users of the CPC cytometry core will require a staff, student, or affiliate card (acquired from L3 of the Jane Foss Russell Building G02), that has been activated (at Security, Services Building G12) to access the facility. University personnel can find more information on card access procedures here (unikey login required).
Researchers from the Centenary Institute seeking access to the CPC laboratory should also visit the wiki page on CPC access for more information on card access.
1. Request a PPMS account
For new users, go to the Sydney Cytometry PPMS page, select 'Account creation request', and fill in your details. After an account has been created, you will also need to submit a biosafety approval request for your project. Step-by-step instructions for requesting an account and training via PPMS are available here - https://goo.gl/VJvoIp.
2. Register for CareerPath
In order to access the CPC Cytometry facility, you will need to complete two online inductions in CareerPath.
University of Sydney staff
Login to the intranet page, and select the link to CareerPath (located on the bottom right, under Systems Login). This will take you to the CareerPath home page.
Non-University staff, including Affiliates, PhD and Honours Students
The licensing for CareerPath requires us to register using the self-registration module for non-University staff. To do this, follow the link https://sydney.csod.com/selfreg/register.aspx?c=cpc2017
- Complete the self-registration
- Record the Username log-on and password information provided in this process, you will need this for future modules – including the laboratory module
- The self-registration will take you to the CareerPath home page.
- Complete the relevant inductions on CareerPath as below:
- To return to CareerPath to complete further inductions follow the link e-mailed to you at registration.
- You can also go directly to the CareerPath site at https://sydney.csod.com/, using the login information described above in point 2.
3. ONLINE INDUCTION
Using CareerPath once logged on:
- Search for CPC in the box at top right.
- Select the appropriate training course.
- FIRST - General building induction
- "Charles Perkins Centre research and education hub workplace induction – General" in CareerPath
- Everyone must complete the General Induction
- SECOND - PC2 Laboratory induction
- "Charles Perkins Centre research and education hub – laboratory workplace induction version 2" in CareerPath
- For those that require OFFICE ACCESS ONLY (i.e. to use the analysis workstation in the level 5 office), there is no need to complete the laboratory workplace induction
- This should not be confused with the ‘Trades and Services version’ of the induction laboratory trades and services induction - version 2 which is only for trade staff who will not be working with samples in the lab
- To begin each induction module, click on the “Launch” button.
- You may need to change your browser settings to allow pop-ups (Internet options -> Privacy -> Pop-up blocker) or trust this site to allow access.
- The laboratory induction is supported by a .pdf copy of the draft Safety and Operating Manual. This should be downloaded to assist you in answering the embedded quizzes.
- We have included this under “Pre-work” as an OPTIONAL item. If you wish to open this file, Launch the induction which will open in a separate window.
- Now press Manage in the original window, and then Launch (the description will have changed to Manual) to open the Manual in a separate window.
- To step through the inductions press the arrow at bottom right, when you have read each slide or follow instructions to answer the quizzes.
4. PC2 Face-to-face inductions
You will need to complete a Level 5 PC2 Lab Induction (with the Level 5 Floor Manager). These can be booked in CareerPath (CPC Local Induction - Laboratory Level 5). Alternatively, you can contact the Level 5 floor manager to find out when the next available session is.
6. ACCESS APPROVAL REQUEST
Once all inductions are complete, online access forms needs to be completed. These forms are available here - Card access to CPC facility. Approval may take 24 hours for each area and supervisor (if all relevant information is accurately provided). Once approved, access will be loaded into the university cards or proximity cards. You will receive an email notifying you of approval.
- It may take up to two weeks for approval to be granted (and thus for approved cards to enable access to the facility).
- Once approval email is received, please check to see that building access works in one business day.
- If it is unsuccessful, please notify your floor manager.
- All CPC external Cytometry Facility users need to arrange access with facility staff for each visit while waiting for access to be added to their card.